Rice Krispie treats…a classic treat for not only kids but also adults!
I grew up in the days before the prepackaged Rice Krispie treats, and I have many fond memories of making these tasty goodies with my mom and grandma. I had one friend whose mom would make them and add cinnamon red hots! Admittedly, I am a nut for all things cinnamon so these easily were a favorite of mine! Usually around Valentine’s Day each year, I borrow my friend’s mom’s idea and make homemade heart shaped Rice Krispie treats with red hots.
Not that anyone needs the recipe for Rice Krispie treats, but here it is…just in case….
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 package (10 oz., about 40) regular marshmallows
- - OR -
- 4 cups miniature marshmallows
- 6 cups Kellogg’s® Rice Krispies® cereal
- 1/2-1 cup cinnamon red hots
1. In large saucepan melt butter over low heat. Add marshmallows and stir until completely melted. Remove from heat.
2. Add KELLOGG’S RICE KRISPIES cereal and cinnamon red hots. Stir until well coated.
3. Using buttered spatula or wax paper evenly press mixture into 13 x 9 x 2-inch pan coated with cooking spray. Cool. Cut with a heart cookie cutter into shapes. Best if served the same day.